Thursday, January 13, 2011

Atlanta Snowpocalypse 2011

The Storm that Wasn't

I drove up to Atlanta on Friday to pick up the rest of my stuff and to register my car.  There was talk of a snow storm hitting the Atlanta area Saturday evening, but as with rain in Southern California, snow is often overblown in Atlanta.

Saturday was gorgeous and hung out with my buddy Brian making designer ketchup and solving the worlds problems (like always).  No storm.  Hell it wasn't even cloudy.  Sunday came along and I managed to get some packing done and went to the grocery store just in case the storm came, but I didn't get bread or milk (Take that Southerners!). Sunday evening - nothing.    Sunday night - nothing...  until around 10pm.  The snow started to fall slowly.


It looked like it was going to be the Storm of the Century that never happened.

Well that changed about an hour later.


Within 2 hours there was nearly 4 inches of snow! Now I am not one to let perfectly good snow and a hill go to waste:



By the next morning there was 5 inches!!

Snow on top of roomies car.

Not Boston - it is actually Atlanta

You can see my car to the left of the mailboxes.  It is two wheel drive and there is a fairly steep hill to get out of the neighborhood.  I wasn't going anywhere for awhile. 

What you can't see and I couldn't get a good picture of, is that the entire surface of the snow is covered in 1/8" to 1/4" of ice.  One of the chihuahuas could walk on the ice with out falling through.  That made it even harder to drive, as snow isn't too much of an issue, but the ice made it impassable without all wheel drive or chains.

Later that evening for fun the roomies and I walked over to the grocery store (I ran out of Pepsi). We also got Puff Pastry and some snacks.  I made little puff pastry squares filled with spicy Itallian Sausage.  Puff Pastry makes everything better!













Tuesday - Driving through Snowpocalypse 2011


The next day, Tuesday, things weren't looking much better.  Around 11 I was seriously suffering from cabin fever and had to get out.  Tabitha started calling Mexican restaurants and the only place we found open was Taco Mac.  So we went.  The roads were sketchy but drivable.  I didn't feel particularly secure about driving all the way to Macon in those conditions though. Taco Mac is known for beer, and beer I had.
Best beer to drink on a snow day? Miller High Life!
Don't worry, I only had one and a full meal.

Even though the roads were a mess, I went ahead and packed up my car just in case.  If you are ever offered the chance to move in the snow by all means, pass.  Ugh - I have never been that cold, hot, and sweaty all at once. What a mess.  Luckily I didn't fall once, although there were a couple of close calls and I ended up skiing down the hill about three feet.  Didn't fall though!

Around 4:30 the temperature had peaked at 35 and the roads were kind of slushie.  The weather had that night getting down into the low 20's and not getting over 28 the following day.  Sounds like a great recipe for icy roads.  So I decided to go for it and take my chances.  I also figured that there would be less people on the road then than the following day.


Click on the blue pins to see images from my trip through downtown.



View Larger Map

After the airport the roads cleared up and the trip was uneventful from then on.




No comments:

Post a Comment