Monday, November 22, 2010

Updates on what I have been doing - not a lot.

Dry Wall
Over the past couple of months I have been slowly working on my Aunt and Uncle's place doing some drywall work and some other general handyman stuff.  For the most part it has turned out pretty well, even though I am no Michaelangelo when it comes to drywall repair, it is passable.


Word of warning though, if anyone ever asks if you can do drywall just say no! I had white snot for days after sanding the tape and mud.  Not fun. Luckily I am almost done.  But they are my Aunt and Uncle and I would do anything for them, even drywall.  To the right you can see a picture of the work 90% complete, just some sanding and filling left.


Hydroponics Update


It has been a few weeks now and I have learned tons about how to grow things hydroponically.  Well more like how not to grow things hydroponically.  Turns out that the system I built from my limited knowledge and no experience is more of an advanced system and prone to issue if you don't know what you are doing (who knew?) But regardless, this whole thing was designed to be a small scale learning experience and in that mission the project is a great success.

The results so far:
Strawberries - out of 10 only one survives.  It appears to be doing well and is growing new roots.  Hopefully I can get this one to flower.







Broccoli - These are the real winners! Three of the plants are flourishing and growing a great set of roots.





Lettuce - They are still going, although not growing as fast as they should.  However, I planted something like 40 in the hopes that a few would survive and so far most are still growing.






Here are two of the larger lettuces and the one on top of the channel is a basil cutting from the soil garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment